Thursday, February 19, 2009

A sad week for me, lilo, pit bulls and their friends


A little background....There was recently a dog fight bust in North Carolina. This horrible person bread and fought many pit bulls. Overall 146 dog lives were lost because of this idiot, the county he lived in and the harsh words from people who represent the Humane Society of the United States. Here is a quote from the HSUS on why they suggested killing any dog who was confiscated from this guys property:

"Those particular fighting dogs in Wilkes County, NC were very, very different than the Vick dogs.....Vick was not a good breeder, and he lost most of his fights. His dogs were a poor representation of true fighting dogs."

The dogs were never evaluated. Some of the puppies could not have been more than a few months old. Please keep in mind that euathanizing a dog because the parents were used for a blood sport would be like labeling babies of convicts as unfit for society. How can this ever be justified? There were multiple rescues offereing to evaluate these dogs and find foster homes for them. I'm not sure why the HSUS felt these dogs didn't even deserve that. Shame on you, HSUS. You know better than to judge a dog based on it's breed or current living situation.

I've been a big supporter of the HSUS and our local humane society. This organization lost my trust and admiration this week. The HSUS put out a press release honoring Wilkes county for their heroic investigation (three years of letting dogs be fought and killed) and eventual bust.

Here is my letter to HSUS:

It's disheartening to read about the HSUS praising Wilkes county for this dog bust. It implies that you had the best interest of these animals at heart. You failed to mention in this press release that all of these animals would be euthanized at the whim of your "dog fighting expert." I lost respect for the HSUS today. I will always continue to support the causes, but I can no longer condone the actions of your organization. Unfortunately, I will unsubscribe from your blog and be careful when suggesting friends or family adopt from the Humane Society. Luckily, I can still have faith in the rescues that attempted to give a better a life to the poor, innocent animals who fell victim first to their owner and then to the HSUS.

Regretfully,

Leslie Moreno


I'm skeptical I'll be able to find another organization who will do such a great job keeping me updated about animal welfare here in the states and in various other countries. I really liked having this information at my disposal. It allows me to show support for organizations that deserve it and even boycott those that don't (Canadian fish, for example). Right now I can't even think about the humane society without thinking about what they've done. They will have opportunities to reevaluate their position on fighting dogs. One can only hope they will come to their senses.

No comments: